VMware Cloud Community
Bunty11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Snapshot query !!

VM with vCPU 2 and Memory 2 GB.

If i change vCPU to 4 and Memory to 4 GB of a virtual machine.

And before doing these changes i took a snapshot.

Now after these hardware changes have been done my system become ustable. So now i want restore the system using snapshot.

So Now how will the snapshot work ? I mean snapshot cannot change the hardware changes we made. So when i will click on snapshot manager and try to revert the vm back to its previous state how will that work.

I mean snapshot will have recording of  2 vCPU and Memory 2 GB. But hardware now is 4 vCPU and Memory 4 GB.

Message was edited by: a.p. - Fixed the title from all caps.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, reverting to a snapshot will not only revert the guest OS data, but also the virtual machine configuration.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you revert on your snapshot, your VM will be with 2 vCPU and 2 GB RAM.

Please check here for more information about snapshot processing. VMware KB: Understanding virtual machine snapshots in VMware ESXi and ESX

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
Bunty11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So snapshot will also change the hardware changes i made ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, reverting to a snapshot will not only revert the guest OS data, but also the virtual machine configuration.

André

0 Kudos
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Exactly Smiley Happy

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
Maryland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so, if I have a logical disk that has the c:\ and e:\ partitions on it and I want to expand the c:\ drive.  If I take a snapshot, expand my disk and if something doesn't work right, I can fallback to the original snapshot and it will put my C:\ and E:\ drive back the way they were in the original configuration?

Thanks,

- Dave

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With a snapshot, all changes to a virtual disk will be written to a delta file, and when you revert to the previous snapshot state all these changes will be discarded. However, you cannot change the size of the virtual disk with a snapshot in place. So first expand the virtual disk size and then take the snapshot.

Keep in mind that changing partition sizes - i.e. move partitions within the virtual disk - may result in a large delta file. This delta file can grow up to the provisioned size of the virtual disk, so make sure you have sufficient free disk space when you do this.

André

0 Kudos