VMware Cloud Community
Newtzy
Contributor
Contributor

Small vmdk file, large used space (thin provisioning)

Hello guys,

I am having some trouble to wrap my head around something I came across recently. Let me give you some information :

I have a windows 10 VM with a Thin provisioned disk on my ESXI (6.5). The used space mentioned in the VM tab is saying that 48 Gb are used. When I browse the datastore, the vmdk file is 13.27 Gb (that is, I assume, the real size used by the VM right ?). No other files are large in the DS.

Why is there such a difference ? I tried the method to reclaim space (zero out unused data, and then run a command on the ESXI), but this did not shrink the disk.

When I check directly in the VM (check the C: disk space used), I can see that 35 Gb are used. Is there a way to shrink the "used space" to match my OS actual space usage ?

I don't know if I am clean enough, but I am struggling finding solution or answers to my question, so if you could help me, It would be great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Try running this in your vm

SDelete - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

this will clear out the freespace, which bring down the reported space in some cases. If have another datastore and storage vmotion work, try moving it to another datastore as well, and move it back.

0 Kudos
Newtzy
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your help. I used SDelete already but this did nothing. I am trying moving the vm between datastore I will tell you if It helped.

0 Kudos
Newtzy
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, this did not help. Still the same size...

0 Kudos