VMware Cloud Community
grahamuk2013
Contributor
Contributor

Single Sign On upgrade issue 5.1 to 5.5

Hi,

Has anyone encountered the below error when trying to update SSO to 5.5? I have downloaded the latest install package 5.5 update 1 but I keep getting the error. The server is a 2008 SP2 machine.

Product: vCenter Single Sign-On -- Error 1923. Service 'VMware Directory Service' (VMWareDirectoryService) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.

The things I have tried so far are below after reading various things online.

I have tried using different domain admin accounts

Rebooting the server

Starting the Windows Error Reporting service

Disabling the VMware Converter Services

Disabling the AV

I have also seen the article below but which has a similar error that mentions certain ports should be free, however version 5.1 was installed without any issues and has been working for months.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=206969...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please tell us  50000 port is free or used by some other service ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
grahamuk2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have found that port 50000 is being used but netstat -b doesn't show a process. I believe it is backup exec from looking on google. Any way around this?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The port 50000 is being used by some other service, vmware directory service will not be installed .Please free the 50000 port and try to upgrade it should work fine.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
grahamuk2013
Contributor
Contributor

I might install this on another server as I am not sure if I can free the port. Is there a guide that I could use to migrate to another Windows server?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes we can take backup and restore of 5.1.But we can migrate from 5.1 to 5.5 to another Windows server.Please follow the below steps.

1.)Take back up of 5.1 Single sign on

2.) Restore the 5.1 Single Sign on to another windows server.

3.) Then Upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5 single

For step 1 and 2 follow the below KB article VMware KB: Backing up and restoring the vCenter Single Sign-On (SSO) 5.1 configuration

Once step 1 and 2 are done then upgrade to 5.5 i hope it will work.

For future reference how to take back up and restore of 5.5 please see the below KB article VMware KB: Backing up and restoring the VMware vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 configuration

Thanks,

Atul

0 Kudos
grahamuk2013
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a guide to migrate the whole vCenter server and it's components? Also it it possible to migrate from 5.1 to a new 5.5 installation?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We can migrate virtual center server from one machine to another machine but not sure about Inventory service and single sign on.The best practice we can install fresh SSO 5.5 and IS on new machine then migrate virtual center server.If we install fresh SSO on new machine then of course we need to add all the identy resources and users manually as this is fresh sso.

For virtual center server migration :VMware KB: Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine

But not sure for inventory service and SSO, it may help you VMware KB: Re-pointing and re-registering VMware vCenter Server 5.1 / 5.5 and components

0 Kudos