VMware Cloud Community
johnmennear
Contributor
Contributor

Sharing Datastores between VCenters 5.0

I am trying to share a datastore between two vcenters. First, is this possible to do? and if so, can someone point me in the direction of a document that will tell me how to make it happen?

Thanks.

john

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
82Titleist
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to remember doing this when we went through a migration to NFS from an older iSCSI datastore infrastructure in 4.x.  It basically facilitated a physical migration for us.  One thing to note here is it wasn't a "shared" instance and more of a cutover type scenario.

What are you trying to accomplish?  what type of storage are you using?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

basically a VMFS datastore can be shared by up to 64 hosts, no matter whether they are managed by vCenter Server or not. However, you some features (e.g. Storage I/O control) may not work properly with "mixed" access.

André

0 Kudos
johnmennear
Contributor
Contributor

I have one VCenter 5.0 server that has a bunch of virtual machines that have access to a SAN where I have a floppy image resides. That floppy image is shared among the VM’s.

I have another VCenter 5.0 that also needs access to the same floppy image. This other VCenter has a virtual machine that is writing configuration information to the floppy drive and then the virtual machines on the other VCenter pick up those changes (I didn’t created the app’s on the VM’s, that’s just the way they work, but, I have to deal with it).

-john

0 Kudos