VMware Cloud Community
FILTU
Contributor
Contributor

Set default location for snapshot to local esxi

Hello friends,

We have a 3 node esxi 5.1 cluster & iSCSI storage. All the vm's are currently running on storage.

I want to change set the default loation of snapshot created for vm's on esxi local host. not on the iSCSI storage.

have gone through KB 2007563  but want other safe options. since it's a production environment i don't want to take chance.

plz help me out in config

Thanks in advnace

Sharath

Sharath Shashidhar
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Don't do this, don't even think of it! Even though you might be able to configure this, you'd loose high availability for the VMs, since the snapshots are not accessible anymore in case of a host failure, and you also cannot vMotion the VM's anymore. Please read VMware KB: Understanding virtual machine snapshots in VMware ESXi and ESX, which explains how snapshots are used in VMware products.

André

0 Kudos
FILTU
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.

Am facing problem Removal of snapshot is taking long time (5HOURS)

what we have is Symantec backup exec 2012 & a vm with multiple HDD (5) and each of them are about approx 250GB

Total size of VM is 2 TB.

After a full/incremental backup removal of snap shot is taking like 5 HOURS. and when the process reaches 92% the vm hangs, till it completes snapshot removal we are unable to access vm.

earlier the vm used to be in local esxi host. but after moving to storage we are facing problem.  

Moving to storage - Each disk is mounted on separate volumes on storage.

Can any one help me identify what where is the problem

Sharath Shashidhar
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Without knowing the size of the snapshots, 5 hours really seem to be too much in case of normal operation. What type (vendor/model) of storage system do you have and how did you setup networking (e.g. vSwitches, network speed, frame size, dedicated physical switches, path policies, ...)? How do the performance counters look like while the snapshots are deleted? Do you see height latencies?

André

0 Kudos
FILTU
Contributor
Contributor

We have a gigabit network

ESXi host from Dell power-edge R710.

0 and 1 - teaming for vmkernal management

2 and 4 - are not teamed but used for iSCSI traffic.

Storage is from AMI StorTrends 3200

0 for management

1 and 2 are for iSCSI traffic 

We are not using teaming feature.

Storage nic 1 to esxi 2 my all other VM are running

and form nic 2 to esxi 4 only 2 file server VM are running ( which are producing high I/O's)

De-duplication is enabled. 

Sharath Shashidhar
0 Kudos
Lenora_BE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Verify that you are using only one VSS Provider and the firmware is uptodate.  Check out this link How to troubleshoot virtual machine VSS snapshot and quiesce issues during VMwar...  

0 Kudos