VMware Cloud Community
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

Server Fault 'Invalid Argument' - after upgrade to vCenter v5.1

Hello,

We recently upgraded our vCenter from v5.0 to v5.1.  After the upgrade, whenever we edit a VMs setting and hit the "OK" button, we receive the error "The server fault 'Invalid Argument' had no mesage appears:

Although the new settings are accepted.  If we hit "Cancel", the error does not pop up.

I've read quite a few discussions around error messages similar to this that are fixed by removing the VM from inventory and re-adding, but we have thousands of VMs - so that is not an option.

Any thoughts/insights are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Try restarting a host and seeing if you get the same messages for VM's on it afterwards. 

Many tx

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
jbando2000
Contributor
Contributor

I can try that, but I'd be taking down a significant amount of VMs in the process of the reboot (can't vMotion 200 VMs to other resources).  What is the thought behind the reboot?  Is it to re-initiate or upgrade the agent on the host?  I can do that w/o rebooting the host.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vmwareuser274
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jbando2000,

I installed a fresh vCenter appliance just yesterday, and I am having the exact same problem.

Everytime I try saving a VM's settings I get the "InvalidArgument" error.

I have no solution for it yet, but at least this gives you a hint that the problem might not be related to UPGRADING vCenter.

Best,

Tobias

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you get the same error when you connect directly to the host with the vSphere Client?

What database are you using?

Are you using the latest Client?

0 Kudos
vmwareuser274
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frank,

when connecting the vSphere Client directly to the ESXi host the error does _NOT_ occur.

I am using the embedded database.

My client version is 5.1.0 Build 1064113 so yes, it's the latest version.

See also attached screenshot.

2013-07-11 09_08_41-Info zu VMware vSphere.png

0 Kudos
vmwareuser274
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found a solution for my problem.

Re-generating the SSL-certificates and rebooting the vSphere Center seems to have fixed it.

Since then I am getting no more of this messages when saving VM properties.

0 Kudos