VMware Cloud Community
NetworkAdminZ
Contributor
Contributor

Scheduled-Task why is there RESET but not RESTART?

Good day all.  vShere 5.0 is the focus on this one.

I have a hardened Linux VM that I wanted to restart on a weekly schedule.  Looking at vSphere's Scheduled-Tasks, I see the following options (with my own interpretations of each):

Power on -- Powers on a VM

Power off -- HARD Powers off a VM with no logic sent to the VM

Shut down -- Soft shutdown attempted with VMware or 3rd party tools to attempt to safely shutdown a guest OS

Suspend -- Pause the VM in its current running state

Reset -- HARD restart of the VM not warning the VM about its impending doom

Why is there a shutdown option to safely power off a VM but not an option to RESTART using the guest tools?  My current work around is to create 3 tasks; one to shut down, one to power on after 1 minute, and another power on task 5 minutes later as a backup because of not knowing how long the shutdown task will take and it may run the second task before the first one finished.  This could be much simpler if there was a safe RESTART option like there is already for SHUTDOWN.

Did I miss something?  Please let me know.  Thanks.  (keep in mind that this box is hardened and vendor does not want us to edit anything on the VM at all - thus the reason that I am trying to use the scheduled tasks)

Thanks in advance!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hey,

did you try to configure the task with the web client or with the C# client?

Maybe this was added in a later version.

On 5.5 I can configure a restart task in the web client.

Tim

0 Kudos
NetworkAdminZ
Contributor
Contributor

Well that's funny....  Looks like I posted the same question back in May 2014 (just found it while looking for this solution).  Still looking for an answer to why this would be over looked or intentionally left out.  The other post has a solution of using PowerCLI and I'd guess that would work with a little more effort than clicking on one radio button.  So again I ask, Why VMware, why would you make this seemingly simple task so much more work?

0 Kudos
NetworkAdminZ
Contributor
Contributor

Tim,

I was using the C#.  After your post, I started to dig into the the web client and it does not look like the option is here to create the schedule tasks.  Guess that its time to get off of 5.0 and up to 5.5 -- now that 6.0 is out 😉

Thanks for checking for me.

--NAZ

0 Kudos