VMware Cloud Community
aaadarby
Contributor
Contributor

Scheduled Task for Cold Migration of Host & Datastore?

Hello,

I am working on a project where I am replacing remote hosts non clustered local storage running esx 4.x but being migrated to a standalone esx 5.x server. They are all attached to the same vcenter running 5.1.

I want to be able to schedule a clean shutdown, vmotion, then power on. I am not able to do this because it says I need to power off the VM to migrate the host and datastore from 4.X to 5.X. Is there anyway around this?? Even though I have a scheduled task to power off the vm, home come there is not a selection when cold migrating to power off the VM first? It just greys it out and says unavailable.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Weird, seems a bug, but maybe there is a reason for that. Can you try to create the task while the VM is powered off and then wait for the task to run to check if it works?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
aaadarby
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried but regardless of creating the power off task, when I create the vmotion task it sees that it is currently powered on and greys out the option to move host and data store

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

No, no, I mean... create the migrate task WHILE the VM is powered off (if possible).

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
aaadarby
Contributor
Contributor

Someone else suggested that, only problem is that I will have to go through the same overhead of powering it down temporarily as I would to do the entire migration Smiley Sad

0 Kudos