BUT when the vm boots nothing appen....

If i login same name same info..

I thought that like vcenter 5.0 i dont have to run sysprep on the vm

because vcenter dos it for me

Tks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

May be Microsoft's Sysprep files are not found on the vCenter Server host, are not the correct version, or are not in the location they are expected.

Refer below KB for more information

VMware KB: Sysprep file locations and versions

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@ScreamingSilence- Its Windows 2008 VM so sysprep is not required to be place on vCenter

Sometime I haves seen a reboot of the VM is required for the customization to start, have you tried to reboot once

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

You are right as per KB sysprep is not needed by vCenter for Win2008r2.

Found one more KB may be related this issue  VMware KB: When deploying a Windows 2008 R2 template, the guest operating system customization does ...

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

yes but dont work

its crazy

I have tried all but it dont works

I dont have to run sysprep manually on the template ????

Normalyy vcenter run sysprep by is one ??

tks for your help

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

I can give you a better option, why don't you run sysprep manually on VM and select shutdown on finish then create a template of that VM.

So when ever you clone from the template it would run sysprep automatic on power on of cloned VM without the help of vCenter.

0 Kudos
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

hI

bECAUSE I have to give a name, put the vm in the domain

etc....

the thing who is nice with vcenter is that it ask your for a comp name and voila

i could also in my network use wds .. but befoe vcenter 5.0 all the customization whas working fine ...

tks

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

In vCenter, in the Task & Events tab of the VM, look and see if the event related to "Started customization" ever is logged.  If not, then for whatever reason, vCenter is never calling sysprep.

You can look in C:\Windows\Temp/vmware-imc\guestcust.log for errors related to customization.

Do you have VMware tools installed in the VM?

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found some step from serverfault.com.

The VM Customization wizard is a bit odd in that it does a reboot of the server after deploying for its changes to take effect. The standard flow is:

1. Deploy VM from template, using customization wizard.
  2. Power on VM.
  3. VM finishes booting, vmware tools do the customization, then they issue a reboot.
  4. When VM boots the second time, all changes are in place.

Check the prerequisites :

VMware vSphere 5.1

0 Kudos
leonhardtla
Expert
Expert

Hi,

check this video: Personalizar una VM desde un template (sysprep) - YouTube

Windows 2008 no need sysprep file on vCenter.

----- Leandro Ariel Leonhardt: Virtualized System Architect at GrupoSothis.com. VSAN vExpert 2016, vExpert 2017/16/15/14/13, VMware Certified Instructor, VCAP5-DCA, VCP6/5-DCV, VCA-DCV, Nutanix NPP/NSEN & Nutanix Technology Champions (NTC). | Founder of BlogVMware Blog: https://www.blogvmware.com & Nutanix Course http://vExpert.me/Z0 Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta fue de utilidad, por favor da el voto. Gracias. If you find this or any other answer useful, please consider awarding points. Thank you.
0 Kudos
charvoworld
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In 2k8 you don't need sysprep to put on vcenter..... in xp win 2k3 you need to put sysprep file in vcenter others like win 7, win 8, win 2k8, vista no need to put any thing. just create sysprep customize using following link charvo cloud: Vmware view Sysprep customization steps . here just follow the steps how to create custom manually. that's it deploy pool with sysprep

0 Kudos