VMware Cloud Community
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

SW ISCSI adapter not seeing luns -but discovery finds target

For testing scripting I created a ESXi cluster in VMware workstation with 2 ESXI 6.7U3 servers. I had set up TrueNAS 11.x with iSCSI and had the ESXi servers successfully add the TrueNAS datastore. I decided to make another TrueNAS with version 12. I have pretty much the same configuration in TrueNAS 12 as in TrueNAS 11.x. Initiators accept connections from any host. MTU's on all iSCSI adapters and connections are 9000, verified several times.

In ESXI (vCenter appliance 6.7U3) I removed the vmhba65 iSCSI sw adapter and re-added it back in. Went through Dynamic Discovery in vCenter on the hosts and the hosts detected the TrueNAS targets. The trouble I have is when I try to add a New Datastore and choose a host no LUN's are presented to vCenter. In the ESXi servers I looked at the vmkernel.log and see:

NMP: nmp_ResetDeviceLogThrottling:3580: Error status H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Sense Data: 0x5 0x20 0x0 from dev "naa.6589cfc000000da49b1f845885bfbcfb" occurred 1 times(of 1 commands)

The "naa" above is the iSCSI NAS. 

What is happening?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have the luns assoicated with the targets in TrueNas?

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek
Contributor
Contributor

I have the initiator in TrueNAS set to allow all connections. If I were to change it to designated targets I see the connections from the 2 ESXi hosts.

The shell in TrueNAS can ping both hosts (note the ESXi servers are running in VMware workstation 15 as is TrueNAS. Not ideal but good enough more or less for script testing. I have a separate iSCSI network set up which is isolated from the management network). I have triple checked all MTU settings which are set to 9000.

...ar

0 Kudos