VMware Cloud Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSO ring topology in VCSA7

Hi. In our v6.5U2 environment we have 4 PSC which are linked in a ring, so when as we installed each one we simply joined it to the previous one, with the last PSC installed we manually created a replication agreement with the first PSC installed to give us the ring topology. We are building a new VCSA7 architecture with 4 VCSA7 linked and as of now we do not have a ring, as we did not manually create a replication agreement between the last VCSA7 installed and the first one. Is this still necessary? I know the recommendations and best practices keep changing in this area. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @jeffj2000 ,

Creating replication agreement between vCenter servers is used to enabled ELM(Enhanced Linked Mode). This is not a necessity, but a added feature which lets you manage multiple vCenter servers in a single management interface.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. Thank you for the response. Yes I know it is required for ELM, and we are in ELM in both our v6.5U2 and our new v7.0, however in v6.5U2 with the PSC we manually created the last replication agreement in order to give us a ring topology. In v7.0 we installed 4 VCSA7 appliances and linked them during the install, but at the end you are left with a linear SSO topology, not a ring as VMware has recommended before. To create the ring you would have to manually create a replication agreement between the last VCSA7 installed and the first VCSA7 install. Is this still required or recommend? I know VMware has changed best practices a lot for this. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos