VMware Cloud Community
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM vReplication 6.1 Network Ports

Hello,

I looked around for a new diagram for SRM/vReplication showing all the network ports required (an updated version of http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100956...).

I could not find one so I created one based on the following docs:

(http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=210339...)

(http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=208776...)

I have a few questions and suggestions:

1. In the KB articles, there is a reference to "vCenter proxy system".  Is this the same as the PSC?
    1. In not, then exactly what is this?
  2. In the KB articles, they refer to "replication appliance", "replication server", "replication server in the replication appliance", "replication management server".
    1. I assume from my reading and understanding
      1. "replication server" = "replication manager" = "VReplication Management Server (VRMS)" = Brains
      2. "replication appliance" = "VReplication Server (VRS)" = Work horse
    2. Can anyone confirm this is correct?  It will make a difference to this diagram.
  3. Suggestions to VMware technical doc writers
    1. Please be consistent with names of components.  It gets very confusing when there are multiple references to the same component using different terminology

Once I get confirmation the diagram is correct, I will post the final version on the blog along with the Visio complete with layers.

Thanks for the assistance.

B

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a Visio copy of the updated drawing.  Makes following a particular system easier.

Thanks

B

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I have not had any replies to say this is incorrect, so I am assuming it is correct.

Attached is a Visio build.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
DevanS32
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm just going through this process and wanted to see if you had any additional updates?  I am finding that there are gaps in the documentation in KB 2119329.

These are my findings for SRM 6.1 and vSphere Replication 6.1

Looking at your attached document, some of my comments.

SRM needs to communicate with the alternate site PSC on TCP 443 to pair

SRM needs to communicate with the alternate site VCenter on TCP 443 (not 80)

SRM needs to communicate with the alternate site SRM on TCP 9086 to pair

vCenter needs to communicate with the alternate site SRM on TCP 9086 to pair

SRM only needs to talk to it's local hosts on TCP/UDP 902, not the alternate site's hosts.

VR needs to communicate with local ESXi Servers (not remote) on TCP/UDP 902 to transfer data to local storage

VR needs to communicate with the alternate site PSC on TCP 443 to pair

I would replace the "Web client" with vCenter since those two are bundled together in 6.0.

0 Kudos
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Devan,

Been busy on a few other projects.  I will try to go through your post and update the doc according to what you have commented on.

Thanks

B

BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I have made some of of the points you raised.

Attached is an updated drawing.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos
DevanS32
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks pretty good.  Hopefully this helps some other folks until the KB articles for SRM 6.1 and vSphere Replication 5.8/6.0 get updated.

0 Kudos
BWinchell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a Visio copy of the updated drawing.  Makes following a particular system easier.

Thanks

B

0 Kudos