VMware Cloud Community
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

SQL Server RAM Requirements

I have vCenter and SQL Server running on different VMs.  My SQL Server VM is used only for the vCenter and Single Sign on Databases (VCDB and SSO).  Is there a reference to help me determine how much RAM this SQL Server VM needs based on

100 hosts

3000 VMs

Statistics Level 2

Links like the following give you very general information:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=202120...

but not enought info to factor in how much extra RAM you need for a given statistics level.

The VMware "Datasbase Sizing Calculator for Microsoft SQL Server"  tells you only how much disk space you need but not how much RAM you need on your SQL Server:

Any input appreciated

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Use this as a rough guide..from the vSphere docs...

Memory in the VMware vCenter Server Appliance 

Very small inventory (10 or fewer hosts, 100 or fewer virtual machines): at least 4GB.

Small inventory (10-100 hosts or 100-1000 virtual machines): at least 8GB.

Medium inventory (100-400 hosts or 1000-4000 virtual machines): at least 13GB.

Large inventory (More than 400 hosts or 4000 virtual machines): at least 17GB.

0 Kudos
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. However that info is referring to the RAM used by vCenter Server itself when deployed as an appliance. In my case, vCenter Server is in one VM, and the SQL Server that vCenter connects to is in a separate VM. What I’m looking for is the memory required by that other SQL Server VM, which is running just the databases used by vCenter Server and Single Sign-On, which are VCDB and RSA

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

what SQL edition do you want to use ?

0 Kudos
Albatross1
Contributor
Contributor

In this case, the SQL edition is SQL Server 2008 Standard R2

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

from Microsoft side, Recommended: 2vCPU and  minimum 4 GB or more than that. AS you are separated VM for DB system so there is no need of any extra RAM.

0 Kudos