VMware Cloud Community
dsearcy11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SQL 2008 R2 Cluster using RDM in VM

Hello,

I want to create a SQL cluster using RDM's.  I understand that I must use FC for this to work.  I have LUNs configured with FC already and I can add the RDM to the first VM.  However how to I make the RDMs available to the 2nd VM for shared disk use?  Will they become available to the second SQL server as I begin to create my cluster?  Has anyone created an SQL cluster using RDM?

Thanks,

D

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To use the same RDM (not simultaneously of course) from another VM, you need to add the .vmdk mapping file which was created for the RDM when you added the LUN to the first VM. However, there are some more settings you need to take care of. Please take a look at VMware KB: Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) support on ESXi/ESX for the complete documentation.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To use the same RDM (not simultaneously of course) from another VM, you need to add the .vmdk mapping file which was created for the RDM when you added the LUN to the first VM. However, there are some more settings you need to take care of. Please take a look at VMware KB: Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) support on ESXi/ESX for the complete documentation.

André

0 Kudos
dsearcy11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, I would not add an RDM on the 2nd node. I would select an existing Virtual Disk and point to the location of the RDM that is attached to the first node?  I will give that a try.  Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes bus sharing should be enabled

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At a high level that is correct, but I would recommend reading the above referenced document as there are a few gotchas in the configuration of MSCS on vSphere

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos