VMware Cloud Community
REED201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Running vCenter in another vCenter's infrastructure

I'm dealiing with a security organization that considers running ANY virtualized vCenter Server to be a vulnerability.  I know I can address their concerns by running vCenter virtualized in an environment managed by a different vCenter server.  The concept is simple.  Think two clusters of hosts distributed in your physical datacenter.  Each vCenter, database, and VUM server is running as a workload in the other vCenter's environment.  But I am having a devil of a time finding a white paper, or best practices guide that backs me up.  Does anyone know of a source describing this type of vSphere design?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't know that there is a name for this, but I refer to it as "cross-farming" your vCenter.  By running the vCenter in a datacenter other than the infrastructure it manages, gives you a degree of protection from the chicken and egg.  This is more protecting yourself from the "liability" as opposed to vulnerability.  For any true security related concerns unfortunately you will need to tackle that like any other server.

0 Kudos