VMware Cloud Community
Uewel
Contributor
Contributor

Running a VM with latest VMware Tools installed shows a out-of-date warning on older ESXi hosts

First of all: I'm new to the forum and I'm happy to put my first question here. Smiley Wink

I'm running a vSphere cluster with 3 ESXi Hosts and a vCenter installed on a WIN2008R2 server. One ESXi host is 5.1, one is 5.1u1 and one is 5.5. The vCenter is already 5.5.

Now I have created and installed a VM based on SLES11.3 on the 5.5-based ESXi host. After the OS installation I have installed the VMware Tools which comes with 5.5.

If I run the VM on the 5.5 host everything is fine. If I start it on the 5.1 or 5.1u1 host I'll always get a yellow warning with: "VMware Tools is out of date on this virtual machine. in the WebClient"

But the tools aren't out of date, they are newer than expected by ESXi host.

Clipboard01.jpg

Is there a possibility to supress this message? E.g. by putting some extra configuration to the VM's vmx-file or by tweaking the VMware Tools configuration in the VM?

Thank you very much in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Uewel
Contributor
Contributor

Btw, I have found two related vmx config parameter:

tools.supportedOld.warn = "FALSE"

tools.supportedOld.autoupgrade = "FALSE"

With this only the link for doing a VMware Tools update will be removed, which resides on the right edge of the yellow warning message. But the warning shown in the initial question still remains. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
eXpat_SE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - According to VMware

Cause:

"When VMware Tools is installed within a virtual machine and the virtual machine is then migrated to an older ESXi host, the vSphere Web Client properly detects that the version of VMware Tools installed is equal to or greater than the version provided by the ESXi host on which the virtual machine is residing. However, the yellow banner is designed to match the exact VMware Tools version provided by the host against the virtual machine."

Resolution:

"This issue is only cosmetic.

If the VMware Tools status is listed as Current, you can safely ignore this message."

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=206764...

0 Kudos