VMware Cloud Community
jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Root Password Expiring, where to change it

Hi,

I got this message in my vcenter this morning "Root user password expires in 7 days."

I never (that I remember) log in as "root" I always log in as adminstrator@vsphere..  Maybe I did when I first installed it? Can't remember. I DO use root to log in to individual hosts in esxi, but if that's what it means it's not clear.

Anyway, a search for how to change the pw brought me here:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenter.configuration.doc/GUID-C63C...

This says "In the Password section, click Change." Problem is, there is no "Password section."

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.22.21 AM.png

At first I thought maybe it meant the "vCenter Server Management" page, but I don't even see Administration, but less a Password secton.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 9.22.30 AM.png

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MTw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jeff,

in the VAMI interface, go to Administration. On the upper right, below "root" click "Change" and you can change the root password.

In the same place you can change the password to never expires.

Greetings

Michael

mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can login to Putty and run chage -M 9999 root  command . It will ensure that root password validity is extended to 9999 days , by default its 365 days 

0 Kudos
jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah! THAT'S why I wasn't seeing I (and it must've been where I remembered logging in as root at some some point besides esxi). When logged in as Administrator then Administration menu item isn't available. it showed up once I logged in as root.

Thanks!

Jeff

0 Kudos