VMware Cloud Community
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resource Pools

Hi Guys,

I've read a few blogs on resource pools and got a bit confused. Basically we want to use resource pools to control customer resources. We have a total of 264 GHZ of CPU and 2TB of RAM. If for example i wanted to share this equally amongst five customers could i not just do something like this?

Res 1.jpgx 5

I'm thinking an approach like this makes capacity planning / tracking easier. It should also ensure customers cannot use each others resources?

Really welcome any input Smiley Happy

Regards

Mr G

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Those settings would definitely limit your customers to only using 1/5 of the resources - but how would you want your environment to react in a situation where 4 of your customers are not using their fifth of the resource while the customer number 5 has maxed out his allocation but could use more? If you would like to address I would just use shares that way when the there is plenty of resources all machines will get what they need but where there is contention limit the customers 'slice of the pie' to only 20% of the resources -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In this environment it probably would not matter if the other environments are idle. We just need to ensure people get what they pay for. I'm also assuming if we allowed other environments to utilize additional resources it could fluctuate performance?

... With regards to shares if my understanding is correct this needs to be set manually? My only concern here is the number of virtual machines in these environments is dynamic, which would make this an admin nightmare?

0 Kudos