VMware Cloud Community
mdroman
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Clustering

Hi,

I have 3 DEll PowerEdge R510 Rack Server,each server RAM 64 GB and  intel® Xeon® processor 2.66 GHz and 2.00

How can i use all resource in one OS, i mean i want to use 64+64+64 RAM and all processor 2+2..93+2.66 in one os.

I just want to install 1 OS in 3 Server.

How ?

Regards

Roman Epo

5 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if you are asking that you want to create a VM which uses Compute (CPU + memory) of all three hosts collectively.

you cannot do that. VM will still be taking it's compute from only one Host.

ESXi Cluster in vSphere environment is for the purpose of vSphere HA, DRS, VSAN or EVC.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can't. A VM only runs on a single host at any given point in time and as such can never use more resources than a single host can provide.

This would make absolutely no sense in the first place anyways because even if you would spread a single monolithic OS across the 3 hosts, the network latency and bandwidth would hurt performance much more than what you could gain. We are talking about values like half a millisecond vs. a couple of nanoseconds. (0.0005 seconds vs 0.000000001 seconds).

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
mdroman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,npadmaninpadmani

Is there any way to do this,i mean all machine RAM and Processor want to use only one Operating System.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

as far as I am aware, on x86 platform, there's no vendor who gives us anything like what you want to achieve.

I do remember reading something related on IBM hardware platform (not x86 platform) capable enough to do such things where multiple hosts compute gets tougher and collectively allow you to run processes on top. But now I cannot even recall what that is known as and how exactly it works. Let me try to search it out, I will let you know if I find more info about it.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
maaca
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The technology is called QuickPath Interconnect, it is supported by some Intel processors (Nehalems?). I have seen it in some IBM servers few years ago.

Don't know about other way how to run one VM across more physical server.