VMware Cloud Community
tjeaton2405
Contributor
Contributor

Resetting vCenter Inventory Service

Currently having trouble starting the vCenter Inventory Service, which is causing problems when using the vSphere Web Client, showing it cannot connect to the Inventory service.

I checked windows services and this is showing it as stopped, I tried starting the service but it only got halfway then stopped.

I tried performing a backup of the Inventory DB but this failed also saying it couldn't locate C:\ProgramData\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\ssl\rui.pfx

When checking in the folder Inventory service I can only see a directory called Logs and none called SSL.

Would performing an Inventory reset resolve the issue or is there another underlying problem?

The reset process states this:

Warning: This procedure causes all data stored in the Inventory Service database to be lost.

In terms of using the vSphere Client will this cause major problems, what data will be lost?

Help is much appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the SSL folder is missing is inventory service is failing to start because of that copy the SSL folder from C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\ location if

1. vCenter service is installed on the same machine as inventory service

2. You are using VMware default certificates

In-case the service still fails to start re-install Inventory service and then re-point inventory service back to vCenter using the steps in the KB 2033620

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Sateesh_vCloud

Can you share The ds.log file which is located in?  (directory will change based on installation path)

• Windows Server 2008:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\Logs\

• Windows Server 2003:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\Infrastructure\Inventory Service\Logs\
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
tjeaton2405
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Copying the SSL folder has allowed a backup to now be created.

In terms of starting the Inventory service should I be aware of any issues? As the inventory service has not been running for months now.

I don't want to start the Inventory service just in-case a issue arises.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Starting the inventory service would not cause any issues even when it has not been running for months.

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos