VMware Cloud Community
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repoint vCenter to another Platform services controler

Hi,

I need the vcenter to have a different sitename than it has now. As a result i made a new PSC with the same domain but a new site. I tried repointing it using this from vmware: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21311...

However i get this error:

Screen Shot 09-14-16 at 09.47 AM.JPG

I tried troubleshooting but i can't find anything. I delegated control on the OU where PSC is but still the same.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its ok, i made it work. The problem was that i created a new site with the same name and had ldap error. I remade the PSC and joined the domain then gave a new sitename. THen the commands worked.

THx.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

During new PSC installation, have you joined it to existing PSC domain with new site?

-

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Did you download the version of cmSSO-util from that KB article and upload it to the vCenter?

can you output the following from the vCenter server:

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd\vmafd-cli get-site-name --server-name localhost

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd\vmafd-cli get-domain-name --server-name localhost

And the following from the PSC:

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd\vmafd-cli get-site-name --server-name localhost

Can you confirm the syntax you are using for the repoint?

Also, what version of VC and PSC?

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes i joined it to the same domain vsphere. eu in our case and the same active directory domain.

0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did use the vmware kb cmsso-util.

Already did those commands but ok.

"

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>vmafd-cli get-site-name --server-n

ame localhost

ROBUC1

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>vmafd-cli get-domain-name --server

-name localhost

vsphere.eu

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>

"

"

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>vmafd-cli get-site-name --server-n

ame localhost

NLALM1

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>

"

Used this command to repoint:

"%VMWARE_PYTHON_BIN%" cmsso-util repoint --repoint-psc GLVWNLALM1PSC01.ROM.CORP.AD

also tried: "%VMWARE_PYTHON_BIN%" cmsso-util repoint --repoint-psc GLVWNLALM1PSC01.VSPHERE.EU

0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Already did those commands but ok.

No worries, but it is helpful for us to see them as well.

What Is the PSC node that your VC is currently pointed to? This should tell us:

vmafd-cli get-ls-location –server-name localhost

Try the repoint again and then review these logs, is there any additional information in these logs? Can you upload them?

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\logs\vmdird\vmdir.log

C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\logs\vmafdd\vmafdd.log

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your command gives me error 100001: An unknown option was present on the command line.

Maybe you were refering to:

vmafd-cli get-ls-location --server-name localhost

And that outputs:

https://"oldpsc"."domain"/lookupservice/sdk

Which is the correct old psc.

The same error. Vcenter stops working for the client so i restart it to make it work again. I attached logs. Seems AD related.

0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maybe you were refering to:

vmafd-cli get-ls-location --server-name localhost

Thanks, yes I was. Copy / paste on mobile didn't insert two hyphens.

Certainly looks like issues between the PSC and AD. Is you new PSC bound to AD correctly?

Do you have two PSC nodes very close in name?:

GLVWNLALM1PSC01.ROM.CORP.AD

GLVWNLALM1PSC1.ROM.CORP.AD

0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ya the old one was PSC1, the new one is PSC01. Both are in the domain as is the vcenter.

I delegated control to the OU (on which both psc and vcenter) over to the vcenter server. Is there something else i need to do? Like delegate control over to the old or new psc?

0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So no clues? Cause i would like avoiding reinstalling vcenter since i have a lot of settings done.

0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not really sorry. What version of vCenter are you running?

I'll try to repro this in my lab later on, but I'll do it on the appliance rather than the windows install.

I've done a repoint across SSO sites last week and blogged about it, but I don't think the PSC nodes were joined to AD at that point in time.

Cheers, Matt.

0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its vcenter 6. I could get the PSC out of the domain, repoint it and then join it back, but i think i would have to add a dns entry for it right?

0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Its vcenter 6

Which build? There are a number of releases of vCenter 6.

Are all of your DNS entries and NTP settings currently correct?

0 Kudos
geoteodor23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Its ok, i made it work. The problem was that i created a new site with the same name and had ldap error. I remade the PSC and joined the domain then gave a new sitename. THen the commands worked.

THx.

0 Kudos