VMware Cloud Community
ngwendk
Contributor
Contributor

Replace a VCenter 5.5 SQL database with a new\fresh one

Hi all, pls assist\advise. We have a VCenter 5.5 platform (the vcenter services are running on one server, and its sql database is running on another different server). The server that is hosting the vcenter sql database has crashed, and cannot be recovered, we did not even have database backups prior to the crash. Now, only the server running vcenter services remains. Is there, or is it possible to just create a new sql database? and point the existing vcenter services server to a newly created sql database? or even a newly created sql-express database?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure (I've never tried this), but I doubt that this is possible. The vCenter setup procedure initializes the database, and add content to it, and I don't think that the services will work without this.

In this situation, I'd recommend you reinstall vCenter Server, or - even better - deploy the vCenter Server Virtual Appliance, since VMware plans to drop the Windows based version in a future version anyway. Also remember that version 5.5 will run out of general support in September.

André

0 Kudos
ngwendk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much André, much appreciated. I thought as much, i suspected that this might not work since the VC config is largely stored in the database.

Yes, we are busy looking at upgrading all our VMware platforms to vSphere 6.x. Thanks again for advise...

0 Kudos