VMware Cloud Community
fwgev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Renaming Port Groups

Hi,

In vCenter via web client I added a vswitch to a certain host. I added a port group to the new vswitch so that I have two port groups on each vswitch that manage certain physical adapters and renamed the old "VM Network" port groups so it shows up in the network tab in web client with a unique name that has the host name in it.

I set the VMs Network Adapter to the new port groups.

The old "VM Network" "VM Network1" and "VM Network2" still show up in the web client Network Tab, they even have machines in the old Network, although I changed it to they renamed Network. So the machine appears twice, in the new an the old Network. I can't seem to get rid of the old Network. When I try to migrate VMs from the old to the new network, the list is empty.

vmnw.gif

Besides that, when I try to clone a machine, I get a warning, that the Network Adapter of the VM uses a Network ("Name of the new Network") that cannot be accessed. It seems to me, the old Network names are still in use. Is there a chance to correct that? I fear to run into performance problems.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do the VM's have active snapshots, where the snapshots were created while the VMs were still attached to the old port groups? In this case the "ghost" port groups should disappear after deleting the snapshots.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do the VM's have active snapshots, where the snapshots were created while the VMs were still attached to the old port groups? In this case the "ghost" port groups should disappear after deleting the snapshots.

André

0 Kudos
fwgev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That helped. Removing the snapshots also removed the ghost Port groups.

0 Kudos