VMware Cloud Community
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rename vDS Port Group

Can I successfully rename a vDS port group without affecting hosts?  I want to rename my management distributed port group on my vDS to match a port group name on my source host for migration purposes.  I am afraid of possibly losing connectivity to my hosts if I do this.

Can this be done safely without lost of host connectivity?

Again - I wan to rename a management port group on a distributed switch.  This port group contains my hosts in a production environment.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

You can rename port groups safely. I did this many times.

There is also a KB Renaming a VMware vSphere Distributed Switch in production when virtual machines are connected (2048...

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying.

So if I can rename the dPG to match the network name on the vSS, will I then be able to move my VCSA online to it's new home?  Even though it's going from a standard switch to a distributed switch?

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

ok.

Again:

1. You can change destination VM network during vmotion. It's not necessary to have identical names.

2. If you want to stay on the same host, you can also use migration wizard. And also it's not necessary to have identical port groups names.

Migrating virtual machines between vSwitch or PortGroups to vDS or dvPortgroups (1010612) | VMware K...

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Following the link you posted, when I get to "select VM's to Migrate", the Destination Network is listed as Inaccessible.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Can you confirm the renamed DV port group is visible on the ESXi hosts. to make sure the confi has been pushed to the ESXi hosts.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos