VMware Cloud Community
schwarznavy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remove host from vcenter when vcenter is gone or no longer working

So I completely messed up my vCenter appliance and it doesn't work anymore. I've tried to redploy an appliance by connecting directly to the host and it doesn't work.

How can I remove the host from thinking it is being managed by a vCenter appliance, while on the host? In other words, without accessing the vCenter appliance but rather by connecting to the host using vclient?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schwarznavy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Didn't see this before. When you use the vClient to connect directly to the host, on the summary screen there is a link on the bottom right that says something like "Disassociate this host from the vCenter Server." I clicked it and it seems to work. Hopefully I don't have any problems in the long run.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out VMware KB: Verifying and reinstalling the correct version of the vCenter Server agents- it has instructions for manually removing the agents.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... by connecting directly to the host and it doesn't work.

Can you please clarify this? Unless you enabled "Lockdown Mode" for the host, you should only get a warning after connecting directly to the host. However, this should not prevent you from managing the host.

André

0 Kudos
schwarznavy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Didn't see this before. When you use the vClient to connect directly to the host, on the summary screen there is a link on the bottom right that says something like "Disassociate this host from the vCenter Server." I clicked it and it seems to work. Hopefully I don't have any problems in the long run.

0 Kudos
schwarznavy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did see that original message. Also, when I tried to edit the settings of some of the VMs (can't remember which setting), the vClient basically said I can't do that because this host isn't the manager of that VM.

0 Kudos