VMware Cloud Community
tjcooper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Remove a cluster in vCenter 5.5

I have two host in a cluster. I want to move them both to a new vCenter server (2012 R2).

I have to enter maintenance mode to move the host because they are in a cluster. However, I can select culter and then remove and I get a warning  "removing a cluster will also remove all the host and virtual machines. Are you sure you wan to do this?"

Will removing a cluster put both host in maintenance mode or will it remove the cluster and put both host up one level (datacenter) without entering maintenance mode?

Thank you,

Tjcooper

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no need to use Maintenance Mode. What I did for the latest migrations was to disable HA and set DRS to manual (may not be required though), then "Disconnect" the hosts from vCenter and finally "Remove" them before adding them to the new environment. You should even work to "force" add the hosts to the new vCenter Server without removing them from the old one. Once the hosts are added to the new vCenter Server you can move them to a cluster (provided CPU/EVC compatibility).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's no need to use Maintenance Mode. What I did for the latest migrations was to disable HA and set DRS to manual (may not be required though), then "Disconnect" the hosts from vCenter and finally "Remove" them before adding them to the new environment. You should even work to "force" add the hosts to the new vCenter Server without removing them from the old one. Once the hosts are added to the new vCenter Server you can move them to a cluster (provided CPU/EVC compatibility).

André

0 Kudos