VMware Cloud Community
petermie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Remote Console 9.0-4288332 won't auto release mouse

I'm having a problem where a lot of my VMs (up to date VMTools and HW) won't auto release the mouse cursor in my 6.5 environment, sometimes re-installing vmware tools seems to fix the problem but not always and it's driving me nuts having to ctrl-alt every time I need to change windows. Has anyone else run into this and if so, is there a workaround? It seems to be an issue with my Windows 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and Windows 10 guests consistently but strangely not any of my Windows 7 guests. I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise x64 1607 on my desktop

2 Replies
mselvidge
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue today with a Windows 2008 R2 vm.  I found a solution and thought I would pass it on in case it helps anyone else.  The problem seems to stem from a bad video driver install.  I had to go into device manager and set my video card back to a Standard VGA Adapter, restart the vm, update the video card driver back to the VMware SVGA Adapter, and restart again.  After that my mouse seemed to function normally and I was able to enter and leave the remote console without having to press ctrl + alt each time.

I hope this helps.

TommyB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue with the10.x remote console - following your advice fixed it.

Funny detail - this did not affect all VMs but only a few of them.

Thank you very much for sharing!

0 Kudos