VMware Cloud Community
Geroi
Contributor
Contributor

Remediating a Host with a Host Profile consisting of a single/limited set of options

Hi all!

I'm trying to create a host profile and use it to update a single Advanced Configuration Option in all of our ESXi hosts.
I do that by extracting a profile from one of the ESXi's and deselecting everything except the specific option and setting it to the desired value.

When I check compliance against a random host it's Not Compliant with only the value I want to change - So far so good.

But when I run Pre-Check Remediation, there is a huge list of advanced configuration options which are going to be remediated as well. Most will be set to their default values, and some will be set to a specific value (probably the same value that was present on the reference host from which I extracted the profile).

My question is - Why are those going to be remediated since:

• I unchecked everything except one option;
  • They are not listed as not compliant after checking compliance?

After some digging, I found the following article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67078 but after reading it several times I still cannot understand what does "No impact" mean since it's going to do undesired changes to the hosts.

Additionally, the last sentence from the article states "Any advanced configuration disabled in a host profile will have its value treated as default while applying the host profile."

Des this mean I have to include all advanced configuration options in the profile and set them to specific values...? And forcefully have the same configuration of those options across all hosts that I apply the profile to?

So, do you think that there a solution to my use-case - can I update a single option on all ESXi's with a host profile without messing with the other options, some of which might be specific to certain hosts?

If I have to extract profiles from each host, and edit just the one option I need so I can be sure to keep everything else in the same state and then remediate each host with it's profile...this kinda defeats the purpose of host profiles as well as the ability to edit the profile and deselect stuff inside.

I'm aware of all other methods to accomplish this, the easiest being through scripting with PowerCLI for example, but I want to understand how Host Profiles work and if this is expected behaviour or a bug.

vCenter Server 7.0 Update 3h (7.0.3.01000)
ESXi 7.0 Update 3g

Thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies