VMware Cloud Community
dougsf
Contributor
Contributor

Regional template distribution and deployment

Running vCenter v5.1 based in California with vSphere 5.1 servers in California, New York, London and Amsterdam.

We have been creating templates more and more to distribute new operating systems around the world.  HQ is in California as is vCenter.

When we deploy 1gb templates located on a server in California to Amsterdam, for example, the wan and latency turns this into a several-hours long process.

If we put those templates on a London vSphere server (controlled by the Califonria vCenter server) and do the Deploy Templates from that server to an Amsterdam server, will those templates take a direct network path from London to Amsterdam, or because it's being controlled by a vCenter in California, will the template go from London to Amsterdam via the California vCenter server?

London and Amsterdam have a very fast direct connection between the two of them so the two vSphere servers can ping each other and it's very low latency.  But I worry that it's not "smart"enough to deploy a template right from London to Amsterdam, that it might want ot go to the vCenter host in California first.  Replication is like this - you could have two servers sitting next to each other but if the replication appliance it located elswhere the data has to go up the replication box and back down to the co-located server.  Somewhat understandable, but frustrating.

Anyone know how the template deploy flow works?  Ideally we want to "regionalize" templates around the world and home the EMEA ones, for example, somewhere in Europe where they have low-latency connections to everywhere else in Europe so that the templates deploy quickly.

Any thoughts or ideas, please let me know, I have been digging all over the VMWare site and the web and can't find an answer to this.

Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
djet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm looking too for a template distribution solution.

We have 5-10 template VMs that are located in HQ. I need to have a copy of this set in every datacenter.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos