I want to build a RedHat Enterprise Linux cluster with GFS *High Availability* (Resiliant Storage Addon HA) on top of VMWare Virtual Center 5.1
- We are using 2 physical VMWare ESX 5.1
- We are using EMC SAN with Fibre Channel for the storage
- We are using Virtual Center 5.1 and want to be able to use VMotion/DRS features
We have many infrastructures options and I cannot find any white paper or best practice guide and I would like to have your advice on the matter.
- Each cluster will have 2 nodes and 1 Fibre Channel SAN
- Each VMs will have one virtual hard drive VMDK stored on a LUN on the SAN for installing the Operating System RHEL 6.4. *VMotion enabled*
The cluster application datastore will be separate from the OS datastore
For the cluster data, we have the options of :
For the storage options 1.1:
- If each ESX host bind the same LUN, will I be able to do a VMotion without problem?
- Can all VM forming the nodes of the cluster can bind it concurrently?
- Does it support vmware_soap fencing method?
- What's the performance impact?
For the storage options 1.2:
- What's the overhead cost of this options?
- Can I bind all my nodes to the same VMDK concurrently and use GFS2 as the filesystem?
For the storage options 2.1:
- What's the cost of performance having the IO storage load in the guest
- Is VMWare ESX 5.1 support a virtual device for Fibre Channel adaptor?
- If virtual Fibre Channel adaptor is supported, does it support VMotion?
Any advice of the best way to do it?