VMware Cloud Community
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Recreate datastore which has been deleted from vCenter

Hi,

I have deleted a datastore from vCenter (no data on the datastore), when I try to re-create the datastore I can not see the storage in the list.

I have not done anything to the backend VPLEX, how can I recreate that datastore is there something I need to do on the backend?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see the LUN from the "Storage Adapters" view? If not, please see whether a rescan changes anything.

André

0 Kudos
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I can see it under Storage Adapters.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To recap, the LUN is visible under Storage Adapters, but doesn't show up in the "Add Storage" wizard?

Just out of curiosity, can you try to create the datastore by connecting directly to an ESXi Host rather than to the vCenter Server?

André

0 Kudos
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

That correct A.P, it doesn't show up in the "Add Storage wizard". 

I can see other LUN's in the wizard but not the one I need.

I haven't tried directly from the host I will try that on Tuesday when i'm back.

Could it be because the LUN is already formatted as I used it previously?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Could it be because the LUN is already formatted as I used it previously?

After deleting the datastore (i.e. deleted the VMFS partition on the LUN) it should become available again for creating a new datastore on it.

André

0 Kudos
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Thinking about it I have tried it directly on the host and had the same issue.

I had another issue before this one where I had to expand storage directly on a host as it did not work from vCenter.

0 Kudos
Dipak2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sorry for the delay been away, if i try to add storage directly on the host (Storage Type: Disk\LUN) i still dont see the LUN im looking for.

In devices i can see the LUN and if i try to detach it i see the below.

X = The device is not used by a datastore.

Tick = The device is not used by VM as an RDM disk.

Tick = The device does not contain a diagnostic partition.

The only option from this point is cancel, cannot click OK.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since the LUN is visible, it may be an option to manually clear the partition information. Please read http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008886 carefully and make sure the symptoms mentioned in the KB apply. It may also be worth checking http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011387.

André

0 Kudos