VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

Question on EVC - Need Help to configure with in the cluster and across the cluster

Hi Guys -

I am trying to have vapps across cluster, and maybe combining Rack and blade servers in a cluster.

I have rack servers in one cluster, cluster A, I have enabled EVC penryn generation on that cluster and it is successful.

I have blade servers and when I am trying to enable EVC penryn generation, it is giving me this error - capture.jpg

how can i resolve this issue?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try using same evc mode on both clusters.

Check what mask the vm is using, because it change when you power off/on depending of cluster.

I.E: Cluster 1 - EVC Mode X

If you poweron a VM here, the VM will mask processor using Mode X, if you migrate to Cluster 2, it will keep how Mode X.

Cluster 2 - EVC Mode Y

If you poweron a VM here, the VM will mask processor using Mode Y,  if you migrate to Cluster 2, it will keep how Mode Y.

EVC Mode X accept run VMs with X and Y, but EVC Mode Y accept only Y.

Check what is the best option in your case

VMware KB: Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support

Hope help.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
beckham007fifa

Many Thanks for your response..It is helpful..

If I have EVC penryn on both the clusters, will I be able to move machine across the clusters?

Many Thanks

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

I’d like to know if EVC would affect performance of the vms?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos