VMware Cloud Community
mclark
Expert
Expert

Question about vCenter 6 setup - FQDN

I brought up a vCenter 6 appliance to test, in anticipation of possibly moving to it from vCenter 5.5 on Windows. If I do go that direction, I would like to leave my Windows vCenter up temporarily so that I can refer to it to copy permissions, settings, etc. Since that was the case, during the vCenter 6 setup, instead of entering a DNS name as the FQDN, I entered its temporary static IP address. My issue is, if I change my Windows vCenter server to a temporary IP address, then change the appliance IP address to the real vCenter IP address that I want, I also will want to give it the real FQDN. I'm just wondering if it is a simple process to change the appliance FQDN from the static IP to a DNS name, or would it be better for me to change the Windows vCenter IP to a temporary one and re-install the appliance with the real IP and DNS name. I want to be sure that there won't be any issues giving the appliance a new IP and a DNS for the FQDN as I am not familiar with the appliance. If I am able to simply change the configuration settings via the vCenter GUI without reinstalling, I also would like to know if the only places I would have to make changes are in the vCenter settings that refer to the server by IP address rather than DNS name (changing these settings to the DNS name), and in the console to change the IP address it was given to the new one. With so many moving pieces to vCenter I don't want to have it broken from the start. Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

I love the idea of keeping both for a while.

I would not attempt to re-hostname or re-IP a production instance of vCenter. Much simpler solution, create a new hostname for the new VCSA and gradually migrate to it.

-J

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
ranidavuluri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I installed vCenter 6.0 in our production lab network. I changed the IP address of vCenter host machine( Windows 2008 R2). I am facing issues. Network card is frozen. vCenter is not loading. I tried to stop all vCenter related services but not able to do it. vCenter service is not starting. Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Usha.

0 Kudos