VMware Cloud Community
pegasus20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Question about using an Update Manager Shared Repository server

We are currently on version 5.1 of vCenter, Update Manager and ESXi.  Security patches have not been applied in the past and we have a mandate now to install all security patches for all operating systems in our datacenter.  We have two vCenter servers in our environment which both use local storage. Local storage is limited on these servers (roughly 80GB remaining disk space on each vCenter server).  VMware Update Manager is installed on our vCenter servers

Would setting up an Update Manager Shared Repository server allow us to store downloaded updates / security patches on that server as a centralized repository thus allowing us to be able to retain the disk space available on our vCenter servers?  Also, could two vCenter servers be pointed to the same Update Manager Shared Repository server?

One more question, when applying a baseline using a shared repository server, are the updates installed directly from the shared repository server or are they copied to the vCenter / Update Manager server first, and if copied is this an automated process?

I've been researching but have been having trouble finding any real detail on how this will work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello Pegasus,

VMware vSphere 5.1

The doc link above describes setting up a share repository.

Yes you can point multiple VUMs at a single repository.  Any metadata on what patches your hosts need will be stored in the VUM database.

Also as per the VUM port requirements then your hosts just need to be able to connect to VUM and VUM to the hosts.

The hosts do not need direct access to your shared repository.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100454...

Regards

Chris

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
pegasus20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I reviewed the articles you linked, but I'm still trying to clarify a few things that the article does not seem to go into detail about.

When using a shared repository server, am I able to view all the patches that have been downloaded to the repository server from VUM?  And, when I create a baseline of just the select patches I want to install, are just those patches "copied" to the VUM database, and is this an automated process or do I need to manually copy?  We are using a SQL database for VUM on a separate SQL server so are those patches stored on the SQL database or on our vCenter server where the Update Manager component is installed?  We need to verify disk space that will be required which was one reason we wanted to offload the patch files onto a separate server as to not take up additional disk space on our vCenter / Update Manager server.

0 Kudos
pegasus20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Just to clarify, all I really need to know is, will we still need additonal disk space to store patches and updates on our vCenter / Update Manager server when using a separate Update Manager Shared Repository server?

Thanks

0 Kudos