VMware Cloud Community
JLHeaton
Contributor
Contributor

Promiscuous mode on a virtual adapter

I've searched through forum posts, and they are confusing to say the least.  Here's what I'm trying to do:

I need to have the virtual adapter for one of my servers set to promiscuous mode.  I'm using a vmxnet3 adapter.  Looking at the vSwitch that this guest is connected to, I see that the vSwitch, and the portgroup I'm in, are set to Accept for promiscuous mode.  So, how can I tell if the adapter itself is in promiscuous mode?  The guest is Windows 2008R2.  When I look at the properties for the adapter, I'm not seeing anything that indicates whether or not it is set to promiscuous mode.  The software I'm trying to get to work is Websense, and it said that if the adapter is capable of promiscuous mode, then the software install would put it in that mode, but I'm not getting any traffic coming in.  I'm trying to confirm that it is in the right mode.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The setting on the vSwitch/Port Group determines whether Promicous Mode packets will be allowed through - you will still need to enable promiscuos mode on the virtual nic through the OS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JLHeaton
Contributor
Contributor

And that's what I was asking.  Does anyone know off-hand how to tell if it has been set in Windows 2008R2?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe the command is netsh bridge show adapter - obtained from Google search

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos