Contributor
Contributor

Problems with a homelab

Hi, I'm trying to build a Homelab using vSphere

This is my configuration

2 PC's,

on the 1st I have installed ESXi 5.5 on a USB flash

Xeon E3-1231 v3/16GB RAM/ GA-Z87X-D3H

320 GB Seagate ES used for Windows 8 system disk for using it as workstation only

128GB Samsung 840 Pro for storing VM

1TB WD Red for storage

Right now I'm using the SSD as storing template 2012 VM and the Red for storing the linked clones.

I'm planning to use another machine as vCenter Server installed on Win2012

Right now it has E5200/4GB RAM/ASUS P5K-E Wifi

Problem is that vcenter can't be installed on domain controller, so I will need another machine - physical or virtual to install the DC. I see that on DC I can't install vcenter? What can be a solution to this? Another physical computer, or vcenter on a VM inside physical host.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
corvettefisher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Open up a run box and type the following C:\<path to vcenter install files> /VSKIP_OS_CHECKS="1", that will allow you to install on a domain controller, however this is not recommended or idea.

The best solution would be to stand up another 2012VM on an ESXi host, add it to the domain with DNS and a static IP, and then install vcenter. Then on the host tabs configure the vCenter VM to start with the host under Host>Configurations>Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown.

svt11
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I've installed on 3 machines - on a laptop there is domain controller Win 2012 R2, On the E5200 there is vCenter Server which btw is running very slowly when I launch vSphere Web Client. And there are other including constant disconnections from vSphere host - I can't install Virtual Machines...

0 Kudos