VMware Cloud Community
shecky60
Contributor
Contributor

Problems talking between two vCenter servers and unable to log into one without the Web Client

Hello,

I was put in charge of a project to test our SRM DR solution before the end of the year. We have HQ in LA with one vCenter server and a few dozen VMs, and a very small office in Sacramento. We replicate our data using NetApp/Snapmirror.

I am relatively new to this company, so I've mostly spent this weekend studying our setup and deployment of the whole VMware environment.As I am starting to flesh out my project plan, I discovered a few things that need to be fixed as a part of this. I am seeing in the logs that our vCenter server, SRM, etc. site B (DR site/satellite office) are working fine, but are having trouble talking with our vCenter server here in HQ.

Which makes sense because there is a problem using the vSphere Client: nobody can log in right now. When trying to log onto the vCenter here in HQ, it fails and kicks back an incredibly unhelpful error that the client couldn't connect to the vCenter Server, and that the operation timed out, but no further information. While the Web Client does connect to the HQ server,  there is no inventory. I have not remoted in to this server before, but it looks as if the client is set up, but not talking to the database, or something it needs to pull data from. In fact, using the Web Client local to the vCenter server itself, I get a banner error that says:

Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems:

https://ThisVeryvSphereServer:443/sdk

Obviously it's a port or a connection string or corruption of some kind...or else...the client was never set up properly. And this problem is affecting how the vCenters and SRM servers are communicating. Trying to fix the connection parameters kicks back a TCP connection is being actively refused, but other services between these two servers talk and they're both in the same domain.

I've read about similar situations to this in these forums related to running different versions, but we're running everything at 5.1.xxxx and both sites match in terms of versions.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Steve

0 Kudos
0 Replies