VMware Cloud Community
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with vmotion

I have two Intel servers (one is westmere generation and the other is sandy bridge generation). I am trying to do vmotion a test vm in my cluster and when i try to change the EVC mode i get "The host cannot be admitted to the cluster's current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode. Powered-on or suspended virtual machines on the host may be using CPU features hidden by that mode" for all the modes. I want to know if there is any way to vmotion the server without powering it down.

There is another difference in CPU for both the servers. HT is enabled in BIOS for both the servers. HT option is reflected in vmware client in one server but in another servers it is showing disabled (HT option was enabled in BIOS after installing ESXi for the other server).

Can someone guide me on how to to migrate the vm without shutting it down.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in order for the VM to get the new CPUID, you'll need to power down the VM and then power it back on.  So, you probably won't be able to do a vMotion from one host to the other until the VM has the new CPUID

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in order for the VM to get the new CPUID, you'll need to power down the VM and then power it back on.  So, you probably won't be able to do a vMotion from one host to the other until the VM has the new CPUID

0 Kudos
lenzker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

since you have different cpu generation, you have no option than shutting the vms down. Set EVC to a compatible mode and power the VMs on again.

After that you will be able to do the vMotion. You can't mask CPU-features away while they are running.

VCP,VCAP-DCA,VCI -> https://twitter.com/lenzker -> http://vxpertise.net
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

After i vmote the machines now by shutting it down will i be able to move the vm back to its previous host again without shutting the vm down?

0 Kudos
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What will be the result if i enable HA or FT between these two servers?

0 Kudos