VMware Cloud Community
Yohan14
Contributor
Contributor

Problem Resizing Datastore

Hi all,

I have problem resizing datastore (Please see the attachment)

If I do it from vcenter (5.0) I can't see the free space of the storage. But if I Login to one of the hosts, I can see the free space.

I usually do resizing from vcenter.

Please help.

Thanks

Warmest REgards

Johan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kermic
Expert
Expert

Assumptions that need to be confirmed:

- you have done a rescan on all hosts before attempting to increase datastore size

- 172.18.100.48 is not the only host in vCenter inventory

- volDatastoreE is currently accessible by multiple hosts

- NetApp LUNs, visible by host 48 (0,1,2,13,17) are not presented to other hosts, that are currently accessing volDatastoreE

If all of the above are true then this is by design. vCenter has storage filters that do not allow you to add extent to existing datastore if that extent is not accessible by all hosts that are currently accessing the datastore you are trying to increase.

To resolve this:

- ask your storage admin to present the NetApp LUN(s) you want to add as an extent to all hosts that currently can see the datastore you want to increase, make sure the LUNs are presented with same LUN numbers (i.e. if particular LUN is presented as LUN 17 to one host, it should be presented as LUN 17 to all remaining hosts)

- do a rescan on all hosts

- try increasing datastore from vCenter again

hope this helps

p.s. if you want to get some more info on storage filtering, check the storage guide: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc/GUID-352D574A-CB43-4275-97AB-...

don't turn them off unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're doing. They are there for a reason!

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

Yes, and by the way, welcome to communities Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Yohan14
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your kind response, Kermic

- you have done a rescan on all hosts before attempting to increase datastore size (YES)

- 172.18.100.48 is not the only host in vCenter inventory (YES)

- volDatastoreE is currently accessible by multiple hosts (YES)

- NetApp LUNs, visible by host 48 (0,1,2,13,17) are not presented to other hosts, that are currently accessing volDatastoreE (YES)

VolDataStoreE is visible for hosts with different LUN ID, 17 is mapped to Blade 3 which is host 48. Other blades have different LUN ID.

I opened a support ticket and got the call from VMWARE's engineer yesterday. After checking all the configuration, he said this is not an issue and this is an intermittent situation when the tool of the vcenter can't read the LUN of the storage. He said their software engineers are still working on it. although I can do resizing from Host, but I am not satisfied with the answer because I used to be able to do it from vcenter, but well, what can I do when they say this "issue" is from VMWARE's tool , not from vcenter its self ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

Yohan14 wrote:

- volDatastoreE is currently accessible by multiple hosts (YES)

- NetApp LUNs, visible by host 48 (0,1,2,13,17) are not presented to other hosts, that are currently accessing volDatastoreE (YES)

VolDataStoreE is visible for hosts with different LUN ID, 17 is mapped to Blade 3 which is host 48. Other blades have different LUN ID.

Now this is confusing and needs some additional information, however since you have a ticket with VMware support, let's leave it for them. Those guys will take care of this.

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos