VMware Cloud Community
MJMSRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Proactive HA and HPE Oneview for vCenter Configuration not working

Hi,

I am looking to enable Proactive HA. As we have HPE Hardware, new DL380 Gen10, i have downloaded the free HPE One View for vCenter 9.3 and deployed this into the cluster. Further information below:

• Entire infrastructure is new, DL380 Gen10, vCenter 6.7u1, ESXi 6.7u1 and vSAN enabled with 6.7u1.
  • Hosts are all identical with firmware and drivers
  • All hosts installed with HPE customized ESXi 6.7u1 image
  • Checked and verified that all hosts have the latest Offline HPE bundle installed.
  • Deployed HPE ov4vc 9.3 into cluster, registered vCenter and connected successfully.
  • Verified in H5 and Flash Client that the HPE OV plugin installed and in good health
  • Setup iLO and ESXi credentials in oneview 4 vcenter so it has access to these.
  • Hosts have iLO advanced applied.

After all of this there are new tabs in vCenter under monitor and configure for HPE server hardware however no data is being recieved on any of the tabs. I have restarted the hosts, vCenter and ov4vc appliance aswell as selected "Refresh" on vCenter in ov4vc console. ov4vc, hosts and vcenter all on same subnet and VLAN so no issues with ports, routing etc.

I have right clicked the cluster to enable Proactive HA and can enable however no providers appear under the providers section. HPE Should appear there.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MJMSRI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have created a new test cluster in vCenter and just enabled DRS initially, once created i then enabled HA then enabled Proactive HA and under the Providers tab the HPE Provider was listed and i have been able to select this.

So on a new cluster with no hosts, the provider appears. So this indicates a host issue/incompatibility.

As vSAN is enabled, its not an easy task to simply move the hosts from the current cluster to new cluster and even if i did the feature may then disable due to hosts being added which could bring over the incompatibility if it exists.

0 Kudos
Kraljo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  I have been struggling with the same problem. All hosts HPE Proliant DL380 Gen 10, HPE OneView and OneView for VC, but no proactive HA in the cluster as there is no provider to select.

So i tested your suggestion. Removed one ESXi host from my production cluster.  New test empty cluster with DRS and HA enabled. HP Provider appears and can be selected for Proactive HA.

I am now unable to add a host in the new test cluster with Proactive HA enabled. The error message:

Error stack:

Host is not monitored by the following health update providers registered for this cluster: HPE OneView for vCenter

> Disable Proactive HA and the host can be added in the cluster.

Now with the host inside the cluster no Proactive HA provider Smiley Happy .  It seems the HW is not compatible with this feature or we are missing some configuration in the HP OneView?!?

HPE says : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00040386en_us&docLocale=en_US

0 Kudos
newspire
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Since you said you configured the plugin with iLO and Server credentials I assume you are not using OneView in your environment. Direct connection to iLO is for legacy support only. The HPE OneView P-HA provider requires that you have HPE OneView and that it monitors or manages all the hosts in your cluster. Current versions of the plugin have dropped the legacy iLO configuration entirely as all data is now coming from OneView.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Check your configuration as it mentioned in page 59 & 60 in this document: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00066686en_us

just pay attention to these notes:

1. If you want to use the HPE OneView for vCenter Proactive HA provider, enable it in Partial Failures and Responses in the Edit Cluster Settings section.

2. If all hosts in the cluster are managed or monitored by HPE OneView, the HPE OneView provider is only available in the cluster settings.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
T_16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys what happened with this in the end?

I have the exact same issue with DL360Gen10, esxi/vcenter 6.7U3, Oneview 5.2, and OV4VC 9.6.

Same deal, no P-HA provider available in the cluster with the servers, create a new emtpy cluster, voila, it appears.

Move host into new cluster, and the HPE Provider disappears off the radar again, and its not even listed.

This is poor. Did anyone ever get an answer?

0 Kudos
ddewerd2
Contributor
Contributor

Are the servers monitored/managed by OneView?  That is a requirement for the P-HA provider.  Also, you have to view it from the cluster level, not at the individual host level (in Monitor tab under HPE Server Hardware).

Thanks,
Doug

0 Kudos
T_16
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All servers are in OV, I see all the hardware information in vcenter too.

I will say in the downloaded log dump from OV4VC, in the proactiveha.log file, it had a curious line...

pha_resources.pha_helper get_vc_ov_hosts vcenter hosts to search in ov are : ['39373638-3935-5a43-4a38-313531474647', '39373638-3935-5a43-4a38-313531474646', '...........]

INFO pha_resources.pha_helper get_vc_ov_hosts hosts in both vcenter and oneview are : []

0 Kudos