VMware Cloud Community
gpalmer1981
Contributor
Contributor

Prioritizing voice traffic inside the vDS switch for Lync/Skype/sip/dscp values/tagging

Dear Experts! Smiley Happy

I'm posting this today because I have looked and failed to find any content on this subject.  Within ESXi 6.0 and above we have now been blessed with the feature of marking/tagging traffic with either a CoS value or a DSCP value.  I think this is great, however there doesn't seem to be any traffic prioritization for said marked/tagged traffic.  You can allow or deny the traffic which is a good feature but I think what most people will be looking for is the ability to prioritize tagged traffic over everything else.  This is sometimes essential for real-time protocols like sip and rtp which is used by Skype for Business or Lync.

Lets compare with a physical Juniper EX range switch.  Here we setup a filter to detect traffic marked with a DSCP value of 46.  The switch firewall filter then pushes this traffic into the expedited forwarding queue.  So as we can see traffic prioritization is occurring here.  So my question, or discussion is, where is this ability within VMware's vDS switch/dvPortgroup? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
0 Replies