VMware Cloud Community
NiteBlade
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerCli VM Disk Space Chart Report

I'm not sure where to really place this post but my boss would like for me to build some report analysis and charts to show VM disk usage over a period of time.  I know I can create one in VCenter using the performance metric service but that will take too much time to do for every VM existing.  I know we can script powercli to get information regarding the current disk size.  Is there a way to generate the same report using PowerCli using the same info as the attached config image?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not as easily as you may think.  You would have to do some querying of the performance database then compile the data.  Then, you will have a dataset, but what are you wanting to use to build the chart with?  There are modules to do this, but that's a bit of effort.

In vCenter, you can create the option set then save it, but yes, you would have to do this for each VM.  The easy answer is use a solution designed to do this, such as vROps, that can aggregate the data and show all the pretty charts easily for any object that is a VM.  You can also schedule reports and even just give the boss access to view them on demand.

Can it be done with a fair amount of work?  Sure, but, is your time worth that effort or is the effort better spent on implementing something like vROps, or even SolarWinds (trying to be fair) that will not only provide these types of reports but also provide a ton of information and alerting, including pro-active analysis?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Not as easily as you may think.  You would have to do some querying of the performance database then compile the data.  Then, you will have a dataset, but what are you wanting to use to build the chart with?  There are modules to do this, but that's a bit of effort.

In vCenter, you can create the option set then save it, but yes, you would have to do this for each VM.  The easy answer is use a solution designed to do this, such as vROps, that can aggregate the data and show all the pretty charts easily for any object that is a VM.  You can also schedule reports and even just give the boss access to view them on demand.

Can it be done with a fair amount of work?  Sure, but, is your time worth that effort or is the effort better spent on implementing something like vROps, or even SolarWinds (trying to be fair) that will not only provide these types of reports but also provide a ton of information and alerting, including pro-active analysis?

0 Kudos
NiteBlade
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was hoping there maybe a script hanging around somewhere in someone's closet.  I do understand.  Funding is the our biggest hurdle so this was a long shot on our part.  Thank you for your reply.  Much appreciated.

0 Kudos