VMware Cloud Community
GSS344
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Power On virtual machine:A general system error occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Hi,

I am running VCenter 6.0 and VSphere 6. The vcenter version is the Windows installable. I installed missing patches on the server (2012 R2), but when I try to start a VM (either one I created after the restart or any created before the restart), I get this error:

Power On virtual machine:A general system error occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

Time:

Please advise. SQL Server is online too and is functioning fine.

Thanks

9 Replies
aragab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In order to isolate the issue, Try to connect to the ESXi directly using the vSphere client and check if you are able to run the machine or you get the same error message.

And please confirm the following as it's not very clear in your post, You have applied certain updates on the windows 2012 R2 which hosts the vCenter and then rebooted this machine then you faced the issue.

Check this KB article out, The Profile-Driven Storage service "services.msc"may have not started properly:

VMware KB: vMotion of a virtual machine fails with the error: PBM error occurred during PreMigrateCh...

GSS344
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It wasn't the profile driven storage, but the workflow manager had to be started. Thanks!

danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Excellent Response! Worked for more. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mr_Z
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me this morning.  I found that the workflow manager was running.  So I restarted it.

Problem solved.

pez098
Contributor
Contributor

me three. I didn't think to attempt to connect to the ESXi host directly so I don't know if that would have worked.

0 Kudos
ncloud9Beta
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

This issue "

Power On virtual machine:A general system error occurred: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'

"

I got a fix and start VMware Workflow Manager that is stopped and in my case I am using vCenter & ESXi 6.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'll jump on the train and report that Starting the VMware Workload Manager Service resolved the issue.

Specific behavior was constant power on events with message: connection refused general system error

If you tried to power on a VM while directly connected to the host with vsphere client, it will fail.

The last note is the VMware Workload Manager was in a not running state. When started, it failed with generic errors but immediately the power on tasks started working across all clusters.

Here is a good VMware KB for vCenter Services: Stopping, starting, or restarting VMware vCenter Server Appliance 6.0 services (2109887) | VMware KB

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
sivarajmadhu
Contributor
Contributor

Nice Update

0 Kudos
SudheerNemani
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Knowledge Base this KB worked for me.

0 Kudos