VMware Cloud Community
botc18
Contributor
Contributor

Power Off low priority VMs in event of HA-cluster hypervisor failure

Hello,

I have a query with regards to the following scenario:

When using VMware 6.0 Essentials Plus to maintain an HA-cluster is it possible to have certain low priority VMs automatically power-down in event of a hypervisor failure?
Reason to do so would be to have more CPU and memory resources available to higher priority VMs in the cluster and ensure they restart on the surviving hypervisors. I'm aware of the VM restart priority option to prevent these lower priority VMs from restarting but I couldn't find any information on an option to shutdown these lower priority VMs on surviving hypervisors should the cluster loose a hypervisor.

Regards,
BC

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

I don't think so there is such option for HA to shutdown low priority VMs during host fail condition.  if someone knows, please suggest.

see this post by Kendrick Coleman where he has tested different HA options, this may help you to get best possible solution to meet your requirements.

vSphere HA Options for VMs and Their Results | Tech Blog | Blog

Thanks,

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
botc18
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, the blog shows all the expected HA fail over scenarios which works as expected, thanks for sharing that.
With regards to the automatic power off for low priority VMs as far as I've seen there is no direct option available in vCenter to manage this, I was just wondering if anyone knew an alternative/workaround to achieve this. Perhaps it could be an upcoming feature in the next version as it would allow customers to look at a more cost-optimized solution on the resources front.

Regards,
BC

0 Kudos