VMware Cloud Community
NeilWomack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Possible to go from 4 sockets/4 cpus to 1 socket/4 cpus?

I need a VM with four processors in one socket.  I accidentally created a VM with four sockets, one core per socket.  When trying to change the configuration in VCenter Server (vSphere 6.0) the change appears to be successful, showing 4 cores per socket and 1 socket listed:

VM.JPG

However the resulting machine only shows one CPU in the OS.  I have not found any articles pertaining to exactly this issue so I'm assuming it's not supported?  If not, would it be best to just create a new VM and move the hard disk .VMDK file to the new machine?  I would really like to keep the current OS and data intact. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is it Windows VM ? If yes, run below command

msinfo32

In Summary page what is the processor info ? This is the correct info you have configured.

pastedImage_0.png

Also you can see the information in Task Manager > Performance > CPU

pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is it Windows VM ? If yes, run below command

msinfo32

In Summary page what is the processor info ? This is the correct info you have configured.

pastedImage_0.png

Also you can see the information in Task Manager > Performance > CPU

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
NeilWomack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Using your instructions I was able to verify that there are indeed four logical processors running, I was mistaken.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, system will show you 1 CPU as you selected 1 socket. Cores are logical processors which you can see in system summary.

0 Kudos