VMware Cloud Community
SDquality
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Patch Repository in vCenter Update Manager.

Hi Experts,

As a newbie to Virtualization, I am running vCenter 5.1 with ESXi 5.1 hosts. When I click on Patch Repository tab, I see patches related to ESXi 4.0 and 4.1 well. Why the patches are still visible in Patch Repository tab.

Is there any way to remove the old patches from Patch Repository?

As per the VMware KB:  VMware KB: Correlating vCenter Server and ESXi/ESX host build numbers to update levels

Another question is: Currently I am on ESXi 5.1 patch 1 with build 914609 and if I directly upgrade to ESXi 5.1 Update 2 with build 1483097 then what about ESXi 5.1 patch 2 and ESXi 5.1 patch 3? I wanted to understand the difference between ESXi 5.1 patch and ESXi 5.1 update?

Please help me to understand!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

updateman.JPGgo to  patch file download location and delete it there example my location is D:patches. this location was given when we do the installation of updatemanger

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think there's a way to delete the patches from UI. If you want to delete the patches from disk, they should be there under c:\documents and settings\all users\application  data\vmware\update manager\data\hostupdate\

For the second question:

An update release will be cumulative of the patches released before it plus contain the newer fixes. So you should be safe to upgrade to 5.1 Update 2 . It will contain the fixes from pacth2 and patch 3.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
dhanarajramesh
Jump to solution

updateman.JPGgo to  patch file download location and delete it there example my location is D:patches. this location was given when we do the installation of updatemanger

0 Kudos