VMware Cloud Community
blomoff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PSC vCenter Installation

Hi,

Quick query regarding PSC and the vcenter installation...

If i have created hte PSCs and have them all replicating as expected between each other, the next step being to install the vcenter servers... during the installation it asks for an IP/FQDN of a PSC, thus pointing it at one. How does this help redundancy for the vcenter, so if that specific PSC goes down, does that mean vcenter automatically fails to connect too, as it is pointing at that specific PSC. Or does it fail over to one of the others its replicating between?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rafficvmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I hope for redundancy , you need have load balancer configured between your PSC. If you are looking for redundancy for vCenter, We now have native vCenter High Availability in vSphere 6.5. It provides redundancy and its failover to other vCenter server, if one failed.

Take a look at this article for more information about vCenter 6.5 native HA

http://www.cloudinspiration.com/vsphere-6-5-configuring-vcenter-server-6-5-ha/

http://www.cloudinspiration.com/vsphere-6-5-vcenter-6-5-native-ha-failover-testing/

0 Kudos
blomoff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was going to say, in the absence of a LB, is it possible?

Or does it need multiple vCenters pointing at each PSC to achieve it>

0 Kudos
blomoff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It will be version 6.0 for now, with 6.5 being planned for the future upgrades.

0 Kudos
rafficvmware
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Load balancer is only for PSC. I hope if vCenter Server failed. It will be failure.  You can make use of VMware FT for vCenter high availability.

VMware vSphere Fault Tolerance (FT) can be utilized to provide continuous availability for vCenter Server by having identical vCenter Server virtual machines running on separate hosts.  A transparent failover occurs if the host running the Primary vCenter Server virtual machine fails, in which case the Secondary vCenter Server virtual machine is immediately activated to replace the failed virtual machine.

Thanks,

Mohammed

VMware Arena - Reserved Space for Virtualization

0 Kudos
chin2reddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Without a LB, you will have to do a manual failover of PSC

0 Kudos