VMware Cloud Community
virtuallysi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PSC WAN RTT Latency Guidelines for vSphere 6.5

I'm currently looking at deploying a new global SSO domain.  I'm struggling to find any documentation confirming the recommended RTT settings for PSC's over the WAN.  With vSphere 6.0 there is a FAQ article (FAQ: VMware Platform Services Controller in vSphere 6.0 (2113115) | VMware KB 😞

"While it is possible to deploy PSCs over a WAN, it is recommended that the latency between PSCs, as with any replicating directory service, to be as low as possible. Additionally, now that Enhanced Linked Mode (ELM) and all features that utilize ELM are facilitated via the PSC, for the best user experience within a vSphere environment, low latency is highly recommended. VMware recommends no higher than 100 ms RTT between Platform Services Controller spanning sites and no higher than 10 MS RTT between PSCs within a site."

Additionally, in this VMware vSphere 6.0 presentation (INF8225 - The vCenter Server and Platform Services Controller Guide to the Galaxy ) they do discuss supporting up to 300 milliseconds latency in future releases.  As there is no updated vSphere 6.5 documentation I'm assuming that the 100 MS RTT recommendation still exists?

Update:

In vSphere vMotion Networking Requirements (https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-65/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc%2FGUID-3B41...)
it states that Round-Trip Time for Long-Distance vMotion Migration can tolerate a  "maximum supported network round-trip time for vMotion migrations is 150 milliseconds"

"Round-Trip Time for Long-Distance vMotion Migration

If you have the proper license applied to your environment, you can perform reliable migrations between hosts that are separated by high network round-trip latency times. The maximum supported network round-trip time for vMotion migrations is 150 milliseconds. This round-trip time lets you migrate virtual machines to another geographical location at a longer distance."

Long-Distance vMotion depends on a single SSO domain, so if this is supported for LDvM then it must mean that 150 ms RTT between sites is supported in 6.5

0 Kudos
0 Replies