VMware Cloud Community
stuffedhaggis81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One Regional VCenter for easier monument.

Hi all

I am trying to understand the best practises of using VCenter. Currently my employer has several HA Clusters on ESXi 5.5. Each cluster has its own VC.  All of the clusters are spread over many countries.

In the past most companies I have worked for have had One VC per region (Group of many counties) This VC was used for management of all of the hosts.

I assume there is no issue with the One Regional VC Route? Also would HA still work locally between each paired host ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

if your WAN between your locations is bad and you have lot of outages, a VC per site might be a good idea.

As you can't do management tasks, deploy VMs, take snapshots, etc. when the connection to the vCenter server is lost.

If your network is stable a vCenter server per region can work just fine.

Also note that HA doesn't require vCenter to work. It's just used to set up HA settings. Once set up, HA will work locally on the ESXi hosts.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

if your WAN between your locations is bad and you have lot of outages, a VC per site might be a good idea.

As you can't do management tasks, deploy VMs, take snapshots, etc. when the connection to the vCenter server is lost.

If your network is stable a vCenter server per region can work just fine.

Also note that HA doesn't require vCenter to work. It's just used to set up HA settings. Once set up, HA will work locally on the ESXi hosts.

Tim

0 Kudos
stuffedhaggis81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Tim

0 Kudos