VMware Cloud Community
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OVF/OVA - Deployment Issues VMware 6.5 Web Client

Does anyone know of a workaround or how to deploy OVF/OVA files in Web Client 6.5?  When trying to it states to log in to a Web Client 6.5.0.0 but I am.  Major issue releasing a product where basic functionality is severely impaired like OVF deployment.  Hope this is fixed ASAP.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Hi cchilderhose,

Do you have the exact error message?

There a re few known issues on the vSphere 6.5 release notes in relation to OVF imports. I'm going to take a look at this in my lab shortly too.

VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes

Graham

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
VMARA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can Provide the exact error message we can give a more accurate answer for your question.

Aruna Lakmal Virtualization Professional | vExpert and a Blogger
0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is the error -OVF_Error.jpg

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

I've had a scan through VMware vSphere 6.5 Release Notes and don't see anything similar.

You will need to open an SR with VMware as this looks like a bug.

Hope this helps

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
SteveL0
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in the exact same boat. Guess I am going to open my first Vmware case. Maybe paying for support is more than just for software updates...

If anyone finds a solution, please let us know.

0 Kudos
SteveL0
Contributor
Contributor

After 3 hours of multiple tiers of Vmware production support, the problem is still unsolved. Logs have been collected for engineering. Appears to be a permission related issue.

0 Kudos
SteveL0
Contributor
Contributor

‌Appeared to be a security / permissions issue. I decided it was based on previous sins of changing the fqdn of vcenter when it was at version 5.5. I ended up deploying a fresh vcenter 6.5 install for our modest 3 host 25 vm environment and all now appears well.

0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So what is the permissions fix besides deploying a new VCSA?  I would rather not do that even though this is in DEV just configuring again is a pain. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SteveL0
Contributor
Contributor

Unsure. From my side, configuring again was... easier.

Did the fqdn of your vcenter change sometime in the past?

0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a possibility that it was changed either in 5.5 or 6.0.  So if that is the case and there is a permissions issue then I would be interested in the fix.  I can easily deploy a new VCSA just the thought of configuring things again. :smileycry:

0 Kudos
SteveL0
Contributor
Contributor

‌I closed the case before vmware had a solution. I needed a solution, so it was either roll back to a 6.0 backup or deploy a new vcenter. Documentation I saw relating to some of the errors said basically to never change the fqdn or things will be screwed up all over the place.

I half guessed they were going to come back and say that changing the fqdn is 'unsupported'.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Jackson
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same thing today. The permissions hint helped a lot. When I logged in as "administrator@vsphere.local" instead of my individual admin account, the Deploy OVF option was working better, at least presenting the expected dialog instead of that error. We also found our PSC was crashed and rebooting it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm able to start an OVF operation with my normal admin account now.

Joe Jackson,

Computing Services,

Carnegie Mellon University.

0 Kudos
trenrick
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved our issue by recreating the STS Signing Certificate as outlined in the link below.  Worked as soon as we did it.

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

0 Kudos
latonline
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah v6.5 release kind of sucked.     We need to install the latest update, hope it actually works and fixes all the v6.5 issues  🙂

For the time being, you can open a session directly to an ESX host in the cluster using the legacy VMware vSphere client and deploy the OVF file there.   After deployment the VM will be in "discovered virtual machines" and you can then go into vcenter using the web gui and move it to where you want.

0 Kudos
ollafz
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error, so I logged to HTML client: https://vcenter-FQDN/UI.

I managed to start deploying the OVA, you can start it by right clicking on vCenter folder (not on vCenter host as it says: vSphere Client (HTML5) Fling v3.0 - OVF Deploy (6.5 only), New VM from Content Library, Create Roles...

I know this doesn't solve the problem, but it's workaround (kind of).

My problem is that when I choose the local OVA it hangs on validating (after 2 hours I gave up).

After choosing the URL of the OVA file vCenter gave me: Unable to process template.

Maybe anyone has an idea what direction I should go?

Thx

0 Kudos
cmezger
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
gsudha
Contributor
Contributor

1.Remove one esxi from vCenter with shared storage.

​2. deploy ovf on esxi server(Login to esxi --> file --> deploy ovf --> nex-->next... finish)

​3.a.Add the ESXi back to cluste

​or b. Remove the deployed VM from the inventory and register in to clustered  ESXi (no issues found since its an shared storage)

​4. power on the VM

0 Kudos
psiborg777
Contributor
Contributor

I am encountering a similar situation when trying to deploy the VMware Horizon Workspace 1.5.0-1220937.ova file via the vSphere 6.5 web client. The appliance is hosted on an ESXi 6.5 hypervisor appliance which is managed by the vSphere server.  When I try to deploy, the web client throws the following error:

"Provider method implementation threw unexpected exception: %s

VapiStructureProxy.cause

An error occurred: localhost 16666 failed to respond."

I'm under the impression that the version of ESXi / vSphere / vCenter cannot be higher than 5.0 using the installed Windows client application.

Does anyone have an ideas?

I'm stumped.

0 Kudos
psiborg777
Contributor
Contributor

Also please note that I am deploying from a Chrome web browser in Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS 64 bit, recently updated and functioning normally. Flash and any other pertinent addons are enabled continuously in the web browser without any other issues.

0 Kudos